There are more than 1.4 million registered non-profits in the U.S. The following is a selection of resources we believe will benefit any non-profit organization that wants to improve and grow.
- Serves as a nonprofit start-up center. They can help you with many of your needed start-up solutions, so you can focus on implementing your services, raising money, and doing what you feel passionate about.
- Ethical work and life learning resources. Interesting – Great Resource
- Founded in 1950, an international nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering enlightened leadership and open-minded dialogue. Through seminars, policy programs, conferences and leadership development initiatives, the Institute and its international partners seek to promote nonpartisan inquiry and an appreciation for timeless values.
- connects and supports pioneering, life-affirming leaders around the world who strengthen their communities by working with the wisdom and wealth already present in its people, traditions and environment. The Berkana Institute and our partners share the clarity that whatever the problem, community is the answer.
- (CPL) at Harvard’s John F. Kennedy School of Government is dedicated to excellence in leadership education and research. It is equally committed to bridging the gap between leadership theory and practice.
- CPL serves people in government, nonprofits, and business.
- Capella is one of few Universities to offer a Masters in Nonprofit Management and Leadership(MNML). They provide a flexible online learning environment designed for working adults who want to advance in their profession. Learn about thier online doctoral, master’s, MBA, undergraduate, and certificate programs-and get answers to your questions about Capella and online learning-by speaking with an enrollment counselor. Capella University
Here are some other on-line Schools that offer a variety of nonprofit related degrees.
- Master of Public Policy – Nonprofit Management and Leadership
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Nonprofit Management and Leadership – General
- Gathers data, conducts research, evaluates programs, offers technical assistance overseas, and educates Americans on social and economic issues — to foster sound public policy and effective government.
- The oldest and largest national organization representing municipal governments throughout the United States. Its mission is to strengthen and promote cities as centers of opportunity, leadership, and governance.
- is an association of California city officials who work together to enhance their knowledge and skills, exchange information, and combine resources so that they may influence policy decisions that affect cities.
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation is devoted to developing a brighter future for millions of children at risk of poor educational, economic, social and health outcomes.
- USC is a community building support and advocacy organization located in Oakland, California. Founded as a non-profit organization in 1987, the Council works with stakeholders in low-income communities, community-based organizations, and public systems to expand services for children and families, improve health, educational and other outcomes, and increase employment and economic opportunities.
- Learnigforsustainability.net aims to provide a practical resource for those who work with communities (in the wider sense of the term) to help them identify and adopt more sustainable practices.
- is a nonprofit public policy organization based in Washington, DC. Our mission is to conduct high-quality, independent research and, based on that research, to provide innovative, practical recommendations that advance three broad goals:
- Strengthen American democracy
- Foster the economic and social welfare, security and opportunity of all Americans
- Secure a more open, safe, prosperous and cooperative international system.
- Ideas and tools for community change
- Everyday Democracy (formerly the Study Circles Resource Center) is a national organization that helps local communities find ways for all kinds of people to think, talk and work together to solve problems. We work with neighborhoods, cities and towns, regions, and states, helping them pay particular attention to how racism and ethnic differences affect the problems they address.
- Provides measurement tools and practical knowledge that human services professionals can use to manage their programs’ day-to-day performance. PerformWell envisions a one-stop online portal that has basic information on outcome indicators, logic models, evidence-based practices and general guidance on performance management.
Non-Profit Resource Center – Sacramento
- Offers comprehensive resources, from a professionally-staffed library to grant funder databases, from fundraising workshops to management networking, the Center enables new and existing nonprofits to improve management, operations, fund development, marketing & public relations, board development and more.
- SHRM is the world’s largest professional association devoted to human resource management. Leading people. Leading organization
- The premiere voice of nonprofit governance, is dedicated to increasing the effectiveness of nonprofit organizations by strengthening their boards of directors. Its highly acclaimed programs and services mobilize boards so that organizations fulfill their missions, achieve their goals, increase their impact, and extend their influence.
- Idealist is a project of Action Without Borders, a nonprofit organization founded in 1995 with offices in the United States and Argentina. Idealist is an interactive site where people and organizations can exchange resources and ideas, locate opportunities and supporters, and take steps toward building a world where all people can lead free and dignified lives.
- Blue Avocado is a nonprofit online magazine for community nonprofits. We publish on the 1st and 15th of every month through an HTML newsletter delivered to more than 50,000 subscribers. Thanks to its sponsors and members, Blue Avocado subscriptions are free.
- Resource bank – large inventory
- The Library provides easy-to-access, clutter-free, comprehensive resources regarding the leadership and management of you, other individuals, groups and organizations. Content is relevant to the vast majority of people, whether they are in large or small for-profit or nonprofit organizations.
- Compass Point Nonprofit Services is a consulting, research, and training organization providing nonprofits with management tools, strategies, and resources to lead change in their communities. They work with community-based nonprofits in executive transition, planning, boards of directors, finance systems and business planning, fundraising, and technology.
- CalNonprofits is a statewide membership organization that brings nonprofits together to advocate for the communities we serve. In 2014 we are entering a new period of renewed activity and impact, and we invite you to join us as we chart a new course.
Below are a variety of selected online resources in nonprofit management These selected online resources are provided as a service to the staffs of nonprofit organizations.
- Grant Station is an interactive website that allows grant seekers to identify potential funding sources for their programs or projects, and mentors them through the grant seeking process.We are dedicated to creating a civil society by assisting the nonprofit sector in its quest to build healthy and effective communities.
- Since 1983, the Society has been providing nonprofit staff members, volunteers, and board members with affordable resources and information to work more effectively and efficiently towards accomplishing their mission.
- (NCNA) is the network of state and regional nonprofit associations serving over 20,000 members in 41 states and the District of Columbia. NCNA links local organizations to a national audience through state associations and helps small and midsize nonprofits.
- Great on-line fundraising site
- Provides easy and affordable online fundraising
- is a nonprofit organization working to improve California’s Great Central Valley. We manage leadership development programs, provide technical support, and hold events on issues important to the Valley’s future.
- Independent Sector is the leadership forum for charities, foundations, and corporate giving programs committed to advancing the common good in America and around the world. This nonpartisan coalition leads, strengthens, and mobilizes the charitable community in order to fulfill their vision of a just and inclusive society and a healthy democracy of active citizens and effective institutions.
- An ongoing research effort to identify and analyze the most important trends shaping our world out to the year 2035.
- Funders are ignoring your needs, eh?
- “Preserving the past…inspiring the future”. We are now located at the NTC at Liberty Station in Point Loma,CA
- TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or less).