United Ways across California have teamed up with CalEITC in order to help hard working Californians receive the tax credit they deserve. California Earned Income Tax Credit- (CALEITC4ME) is an unprecedented statewide outreach campaign to encourage lower income Californians to claim the newly passed state earned income tax credit as well as the federal credit. In addition to a targeted outreach effort designed to reach previous and new taxpayers through trusted community partners, CALEITC4ME is embarking on an effort to increase the awareness about and availability of free tax preparation and is developing public/private partnerships to minimize unscrupulous practices that result in low income individuals and families losing too much of their precious earnings to paid tax preparers and high-fee check cashing agencies.
Governor Jerry Brown and the Legislature created the first-ever California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC). California joins 24 other states and the District of Columbia in adopting a state EITC to supplement the federal EITC.
What is the California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC)?
- CalEITC is a cash back tax credit that puts money back into the pockets of California’s working families and individuals.
- In its first year, CalEITC boosted the income of about 385,000 families, who shared almost $200 million from the cash-back credit.
Am I eligible?
You may be eligible for the CalEITC if:
- You have earned income within certain limits (see chart below), AND
- You, your spouse, and any qualifying children each have a social security number (SSN), AND
- You do not use the “married/RDP filing separate” filing status, AND
- You lived in California for more than half the tax year
Review the chart below to see if you may be eligible and how much you may qualify for when filing your 2016 tax return.
|Number of Children||Maximum Income||CalEITC*||Federal EITC*|
|3 or more||$14,161||$2,706||$6,269|
Use the EITC Calculator for more exact results by clicking here.
If you qualify for CalEITC, you can get your taxes done for FREE. Find out how by clicking here.